Friday, November 12, 2010

Tel-Tales #1: Cut Lines & Intricate Minds

My Dad Toots Zettwoch & I collaborating on a new mini-comic series called Tel-Tales. The first issue - - containing a story entitled Cut Lines & Intricate Minds -- is finished and available now! Above: 2-color screenprinted cover, printed on AT-T/Bell Systems punchcard, c. 1983.Toots wrote the story, did rough breakdowns (shown above), and provided reference from his days working at the phone company in the 70's (below).Here were my rough layouts:And here are a couple of examples of how I translated his breakdowns into final spreads in the book:The book is 3.75" x 3.25", with a big center foldout and a wrap-around color cover. The endpapers were inspired by the intricate art-deco metalwork found on the outside of the AT&T building featured in the story:The book is for sale at the Catastrophe Shop, Star Clipper in St. Louis, and will be available at more distros and specialty stores around the country soon.

2 comments:

Guy Fawkes said...

Excellent artifact! I just bought a copy at Star Clipper on "The Loop" in St. Louis. I've put it in my LibraryThing collection tagged as an "artists book" because of the unique manufacture (the Hollerith card cover, the fold out sheet, the transparency on the back).

Guy Fawkes said...

FYI, I just wrote up a small review on LibraryThing which can be found here: http://www.librarything.com/work/10650692/reviews/66843931